Stop Crackdown on Freedom of Expression in Azerbaijan
Civil Rights Defenders and several of its partners from the Sport for Rights coalition call upon the Azerbaijani authorities to reverse the alarming trend as it carries out a multi-pronged attack on freedom of expression.
The crackdown includes introducing harsh penalties for critical speech online, imprisoning young activists for nothing more than graffiti, blocking access to websites of independent media, and harassing and violating the rights of journalists and activists.
Read the statement in full: Stop Crackdown on Freedom of Expression in Azerbaijan.
- ARTICLE 19
- CEE Bankwatch Network
- Civil Rights Defenders
- Freedom Now
- Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights
- Human Rights House Foundation
- Index on Censorship
- Institute for Reporters’ Freedom and Safety
- International Media Support
- International Partnership for Human Rights
- Netherlands Helsinki Committee
- Norwegian Helsinki Committee
- PEN America
- Pen International
- People in Need
- Reporters Without Borders
- World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT)