Call for Nominations – Civil Rights Defender of the Year Award 2024
Every year since 2013, Civil Rights Defenders presents the Civil Rights Defender of the Year Award to a prominent human rights defender or an organisation that, despite the risk to their own safety, continues the fight for respect and protection of civil and political rights. We are now accepting nominations for the Award 2024.
The award highlights the situation of human rights defenders at risk. Through international recognition and support, the award enhances their human rights work.
- Should have a central role in the human rights movement in the country or region where the nominee is active;
- Should have made exceptional contributions to the promotion and protection of civil and political rights;
- Must carry out their work without the use of violence; and
- Could be in need of international attention to improve the their protection.
Eligibility for nomination:
- Individuals and organisations can be nominated;
- Nominees must consent to being nominated; and
- Self-nomination is not allowed.
The recipient of each award is selected by the Board of Civil Rights Defenders. The selection is made from candidates presented to the Board by the organisation’s secretariat. The secretariat makes their choices based on nominations submitted from our worldwide network of human rights defenders, human rights organisations, and other relevant partners.
Nomination is per invitation only. If you would like an invitation to nominate, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations must be submitted before 00:00 CET 25 October 2023. Should you be hesitant to submit the nomination via this form for security reasons, use a secure channel to connect with your contact at Civil Rights Defenders for guidance.
A complete nomination consists of a filled out nomination form and a consent form signed by the nominee. The consent form can be downloaded here. After submitting a nomination you will receive an email with a link where you can upload a photo or scan of the consent form signed by the nominee. Incomplete applications or responses exceeding characters limits will not be considered.
Nomination and Consent forms
The form is available in English and Spanish.