Call for Nominations
Every year since 2013, Civil Rights Defenders has awarded the Civil Rights Defender of the Year Award to a prominent human rights defender. The recipient is a brave human rights defender or organisation who, despite the risk to their own safety, continues the struggle for civil and political rights.
The award highlights the situation of human rights defenders at risk. Through international recognition and direct support, the award enhances the award recipient’s human rights work.
The recipient must carry out their work without the use of violence and, if an individual, must work as part of an independent human rights organisation/ network.
- Should have a central role in the human rights movement in the country or region where the person is active; Individual candidates should be linked to an organisation or a network;
- Should have made exceptional contributions to the promotion and protection of civil and political rights; and
- Could need international attention to improve the person’s or organisation’s protection.
Eligibility for Nomination
- Individuals and organisations can be nominated;
- Self-nomination is not allowed;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
The recipient of the award is selected by the Board of Civil Rights Defenders, which chooses from a short list of candidates presented by the organisation’s secretariat. The secretariat makes their choices based on nominations submitted by Civil Rights Defenders’ worldwide network.
Nomination is per invitation only. Contact email@example.com if you think you should be invited to nominate.
Nominations must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 18:00 CET on 25 October 2021 with the email subject “Nomination for the Civil Rights Defender of the Year Award 2022”. Should you be hesitant to submit the nomination over email for security reasons, or need to keep certain information confidential, use a secure channel to connect with your contact at Civil Rights Defenders for guidance.
A complete nomination consists of a filled out nomination form (all required fields) and a consent form signed by the nominee. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.