Internship – Communication Department
Do you want to promote human rights by raising awareness of Civil Rights Defenders’ work? Are you interested in learning how communication can be used to support some of the world’s most exposed human rights defenders?
Civil Rights Defenders is an international human rights organisation defending civil and political rights. The Communications Department increase awareness about Civil Rights Defenders’ work and is responsible for our presence in social media, web and media as well as public relations.
Tasks and Opportunities
Together with our team, you will assist the department in their daily work to communicate the work of Civil Rights Defenders. The tasks are varied and include writing articles and statements, producing digital content, researching, doing translations and contributing to the planning and organising of our activities and events in Sweden and abroad. You will work closely with our Communications Director and Communications Officers in Stockholm.
During the internship, Civil Rights Defenders will offer opportunities to take part in external events, seminars and meetings and will also arrange internal workshops on relevant topics within our field of work. The focus of the internship will be adapted depending on your skills and talents. You will have a supervisor to help, guide and train you during the internship.
We are looking for an intern with some or all of these characteristics:
- Enrolled at a university in Sweden or abroad within the last year of a bachelor’s degree or at master’s level. Also eligible are applicants who are recent graduates (within 1 year from graduation).
- Degree in or student of communications, journalism, digital media, human rights, or similar.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good knowledge of speaking and writing in Swedish and English (required).
- The ability to work independently and responsibly.
- Experience in communication, journalism, digital media, writing articles, reports, research, social media, advocacy campaigns or grassroots communications.
- Experience in photography, video, graphic design or WordPress is considered a merit.
- Experience in events planning is considered a merit.
- Experience in a civil society organisation, whether local, regional, national or international, is considered a merit.
- A genuine interest in human rights and a basic knowledge about the issues that Civil Rights Defenders works with.
Civil Rights Defenders only accepts interns who have an internship as part of their formal education, if the internship is during studies or follows in direct conjunction with finalised studies or if it is part of a programme related to a public employment service. The internship is unpaid, however local transport costs during the internship period are covered (SL card purchase). Please note: Civil Rights Defenders is unable to assist with the Schengen visa.
The internship, which is located at our head office in Stockholm, starts in mid-January and runs till the beginning of June 2021. The application should include a cover letter and a resume. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 22 November 2020. Please write “Internship Application” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis, meaning the position could be filled ahead of the deadline.