Internship – MENA Department
Do you want to promote human rights in the Middle East and North Africa? Are you interested in learning how to contribute to the capacity and security of some of the world’s most exposed Human Rights Defenders?
Civil Rights Defenders is an international human rights organisation. As of this year, we have launched the MENA Programme to support human rights defenders in the Middle East and North Africa.
Tasks and Opportunities
Together with our team, you will assist the department in their daily work of developing partnerships with local human rights organisations and supporting them. The tasks are varied and include writing articles, administrative work and assisting with the preparation of various activities and events in Sweden and abroad. You will work closely with our Programme Director and Officers.
During the internship, Civil Rights Defenders will offer different opportunities to their interns to take part in external events, such as seminars and meetings and will also arrange internal workshops on relevant topics within our field of work. The focus of the internship will be adapted depending on your skills and talents.
- Active in civil society organisations, whether local, regional, national or international.
- Enrolled at a university in Sweden or abroad within the last year of a Bachelor degree or at Masters level. Also eligible are applicants who are recent graduates (within 1 year from graduation).
- Degree in or student of law, politics, journalism/media, human rights, or similar.
- Good knowledge of the MENA region and the human rights landscape.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic. Farsi, Kurdish or Hebrew are an additional asset.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently and responsibly.
- Experienced in writing articles, reports, doing research and ability to produce results in a limited amount of time.
- Experience in events planning is an asset.
- Genuine interest in human rights and a basic knowledge about the issues that Civil Rights Defenders works with.
Civil Rights Defenders only accepts interns who have internship as part of their formal education, if the internship is during studies or follows in direct conjunction with finalised studies or, if it is part of a programme related to a public employment service. The internship is unpaid, however local transport costs during the internship period are covered (SL card purchase). Please note: Civil Rights Defenders is unable to assist with the Schengen visa.
The internship, which is located at our head office in Stockholm, starts 2November 2020 and runs until the beginning of May 2021. The application must be written in English and should include a cover letter, resume and writing sample (max. two pages).
Please send your application to email@example.com no later than 20 October 2020. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis, meaning the position could be filled ahead of the deadline.