Internship – Latin America Department
Do you want to promote human rights in Latin America? Are you interested in learning how to contribute to the capacity and security of some of the world’s most exposed human rights defenders?
Civil Rights Defenders is an international human rights organisation defending civil and political rights. The Latin America Programme supports human rights defenders in Colombia, Cuba, Venezuela and other countries in the region.
Tasks and Opportunities
Together with our team, you will participate in the development of advocacy tools and strategies to improve the security of human rights defenders, conduct research on human rights challenges in the region, collect and edit data in Defenders’ Database, draft statements and articles for crd.org and contribute to the planning and organising of our activities in the region. You will work closely with our Department Director in Stockholm and our Programme Officer in Bogotá. The work also includes advocacy in Sweden.
During the internship, Civil Rights Defenders will offer opportunities to take part in external events, seminars and meetings and will also arrange internal workshops on relevant topics within our field of work. The focus of the internship will be adapted depending on your skills and talents.
We are looking for an intern with some or all of these characteristics:
- Degree in or student of law, politics, journalism/media, human rights, or similar.
- Good knowledge of the Latin America region and the human rights landscape.
- Good knowledge of Spanish and English.
- The ability to work independently and responsibly.
- Experienced in communication, writing articles, reports, research, social media, video or graphics.
- Experience creating advocacy campaigns or working with grassroots communications.
- Experience in a civil society organisation, whether local, regional, national or international, is considered a merit.
- A genuine interest in human rights and a basic knowledge about the issues that Civil Rights Defenders works with.
Civil Rights Defenders only accepts interns who have an internship as part of their formal education, if the internship is during studies or follows in direct conjunction with finalised studies or if it is part of a programme related to a public employment service. The internship is unpaid, however local transport costs during the internship period are covered (SL card purchase).
The internship, which is located at our head office in Stockholm, starts at the beginning of September 2020 and runs until mid-January 2021. The application must be written in English or Spanish and include a cover letter and a resume. Please send your application to Erik Jennische no later than 31 May 2020. Please write “Internship Application 2020” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis, meaning the position could be filled ahead of the deadline.